Learn what to wear for the Hajj and Umrah
Do you ever feel confused about what to wear during Hajj or Umrah? Ihram clothing is obligatory during the pilgrimage and is an essential part of entering the state of purity and devotion known as ihram. Here are some essential guidelines to help you plan your clothing.
Ihram clothing symbolizes the unity of Muslims and minimizes visible differences between them. Its simplicity and uniformity make it hard to tell the rich from the poor, the rulers from the ruled. Note that you can change ihram clothing at any time if it is torn, dirty, invalid or contaminated by perfume.
Ihram clothing for men
Men’s ihram clothing consists of two white cloths, without seams, hems or buttons.
- The bottom half, the izar, is wrapped around the waist covering the area between the navel and feet.
- The top half, the rida, covers the left shoulder at all times. The right shoulder should be exposed while performing the tawaf.
- Don’t wear underwear, socks or any other clothes, and don’t cover your head.
- Wear footwear that reveals the ankles and toes.
Ihram clothing for women
Women’s ihram dress is a loose (not tight-fitting) robe covering the whole body.
- The robe can have seams and buttons, but should be free of adornments or colors.
- It can be white or black.
- Your hands and face should remain exposed.
- Wear shoes that cover the entire foot.